Publisher: HarperCollins; Reprint edition (March 1, 2001)
Fiction - Poetry Novel

Love That Dog is the story of Jack, his dog, his teacher, and words. The story develops through Jack’s responses to his teacher, Miss Stretchberry, over the course of a school year. At first, his responses are short and cranky: “I don’t want to” and “I tried. Can’t do it. Brain’s empty.” But as his teacher feeds him inspiration, Jack finds that he has a lot to say and he finds ways to say it. Jack becomes especially fond of a poem by Walter Dean Myers titled “Love That Boy,” and it is this poem that gives Jack a way to tell the story of his beloved dog, Sky.
I loved this book, because it was letters in poems that were written back and forth. It teaches a good moral about being proud of your work and being excited to learn and grow. This would be a great book to read to a class when starting a poetry unit
*** 3 stars out of 5
25 points
No comments:
Post a Comment