Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Shades of Black

Written By: Sandra Pinkney
Illustrator: Miles Pinkney
Publisher:Cartwheel Books (January 1, 2006)

Picture Book - Multicultural

 
I am Black / I am Unique / I am the creamy white frost in vanilla ice cream / and the milky smooth brown in a chocolate bar...
Using simple poetic language and stunning photographs, Sandra and Myles Pinkney have created a remarkable book of affirmation for African-American children. Photographic portraits and striking descriptions of varied skin tones, hair texture, and eye color convey a strong sense of pride in a unique heritage. A joyous celebration of the rich diversity among African-Americans.



I enjoy this book, because it shows how unique the black children are in so many different ways. This would be a great book to have on the shelf in my classroom for children to come by and read of all races.

*** 3.5 stars out of 5
8 points

No comments:

Post a Comment